Welcome to my Cooking Blog

Join me as I traverse my way through recipes for meals and desserts, and a whole host of other things in the world of cuisine.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Summer is coming ...

Summer is almost here ... you know what that means folks?  Ice cream!

Just about everyone I know is a fan of Ice cream, and lets face it, who isn't?  What's not to like about a dripping spoonful of frozen cream being raised to your mouth, then passing your lips,where the frozen cream sits on your tongue, and sends delightful shivers down your spine as you swallow?  Okay, I'll stop now.

In all seriousness, I've always wanted to try my own hand at Ice Cream, but I thought, if you didn't have an ice cream maker that you were pretty much screwed.  All that talk about churning and remixing and freezing were enough to put me off even checking out recipes.  Last week, I decided I'd had enough.  I had to just check out some recipes.  I am SO glad I did!  In our freezer now, sits the remains of a tub of Vanilla Ice Cream, a Peach and Honey Ice Cream, and I currently have a batch of cookies and cream Ice cream freezing as we speak.

I'm going to share the Cookies and Cream Ice cream recipe with you today.  All of the ones I've made so far were made without an Ice cream Maker.  I don't have one, and now I know I don't actually NEED one, I don't have to waste the money right?  However, if you DO have one, these recipes are perfect for the Ice cream maker too.  Just mix the recipe together, pour it into the machine, and follow your manufacturers instructions.  It really is THAT simple folks.

If you're like me, and you don't have an ice cream maker, read on ...

Ingredients.

  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 1/4 cup Sugar
  • 1 cup Milk
  • 2 cups Heavy (whipping) cream
  • 1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 3/4 cup crushed Oreo Cookies
Method.

Whisk eggs till they are light and fluffy. 
Stir in sugar gradually, then whisk again for at least 1 minute.
Add milk, cream and Vanilla and stir until completely mixed.
Pour the mixture into an airtight container (I use plastic) and place in the FRIDGE for one hour.
Remove from the fridge and place in the FREEZER for 30 minutes.
Remove the mixture from the freezer, the edges should have started to thicken.  Scrape the edges with a fork or spatula, then beat with an electric mixer to break up the ice crystals.
Place the mixture back in the freezer, wait 40 minutes, then remove and repeat the step above.
Repeat the '40 minute freeze, then beat' cycle three times.  This should total 2 1/2 hours of freezing.
After beating for the last time, add in the crushed Oreos, stir to mix, then place back in the freezer till fully frozen. 

The freezing time will vary depending on your freezer, but generally it takes between 3-5 hours.  I usually make my ice cream in the late afternoon, then leave it to freeze fully overnight.  Then I'll take it out of the freezer a couple of minutes before I serve it, just to let it soften up slightly.  After trying out the recipes I've done in the last week, I'll never buy store ice cream again.  It's simpler, cheaper, and much tastier to make your own at home.  Simply, mix, freeze, beat, then scoop and enjoy.

Till next time, keep on cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment