Welcome to my Cooking Blog

Join me as I traverse my way through recipes for meals and desserts, and a whole host of other things in the world of cuisine.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes.

Another long absence.  I really do deserve a slap I know, but I'm hoping that with this recipe, you'll forgive me, because well, who can resist cupcakes?  Not only that, who can resist GOOD cupcakes?  Not me!  And trust me people, these are GOOD!  Oh boy are they good!  They come out an amazing deep red color, they're moist, they're soft, and oh so delicious!  Paired with a Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting, they are sinfully good!

They do use red food coloring, but if you don't like using food coloring, you can use Beet juice, or if you use unprocessed light cocoa, you can leave out the food dyes altogether, and they'll come out a warm red/brown color.  Most people prefer a Cream Cheese, or Vanilla frosting, because the white color of the frosting shows up the red color of the cupcakes so well, but me, I prefer Chocolate.

I made these the other day after that oh so familiar itch to bake something hit me again, and they were a huge hit.  In fact, as I prepped dinner last night, Mr Andy came to me and said 'I have to tell you something ... those cupcakes are the best cupcakes I have EVER had.'  Then he added that he NEVER gets jazzed over cupcakes.  High praise indeed, and it made me very happy!  I'm making them again today, and this time, it's our building manager and office worker who gets to experience the flavor explosion.  Just because I'm nice like that :p

Ingredients.

  • 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) softened.
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar.
  • 2 eggs at room temperature
  • 1 cup buttermilk*
  • 1 fluid Ounce Red Food Coloring
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 Tbsp White Distilled Vinegar
  • 2 cups all purpose Flour
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • 1 Tsp Salt.
Method.

Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees F.   Grease two muffins tins, or line with 20 paper cups.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar using an electric mixer, till light and fluffy. Mix in the Eggs, Buttermilk, Red Food Coloring, and Vanilla.

In a small bowl, combine the Vinegar and Baking Soda.  This will fizz, so don't use a shallow bowl.  Then add to the mixture, and stir in.

Combine the flour, cocoa powder and salt, stir into the mixture till just blended.

Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, dividing evenly.  Before placing in the oven, take a spoon and using the back of it, run it across the top of the mixture in each cup to smooth it out a little bit.  This will ensure they rise uniformly and help to prevent any 'explosions' as I call it, where the tops of the cupcakes crack.

Bake in the oven till the tops spring back lightly when lightly pressed, or till a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 20 - 25 minutes.  Cool in the pan for 15 - 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

When completely cooled, frost the cupcakes with your desired frosting, and arrange on a serving platter.

**If you don't have buttermilk, you can make a substitute by pouring a cup of milk and adding a Tablespoon of White Distilled Vinegar, or Lemon juice.  Let stand for 5 - 10 minutes before using.**

Till next time, keep on cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment