Welcome to my Cooking Blog

Join me as I traverse my way through recipes for meals and desserts, and a whole host of other things in the world of cuisine.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Chocolate Chip Scones

Again, I apologize for my absence - I had some PC issues when a virus made it past my Antivirus, and eventually I came to the realization that I was going to have to reformat.  But no matter, all is fixed (at least well enough for me to use the internet) and I'm back.

This afternoon, I had that familiar itch to bake.  It's getting to be a regular thing, this itch, and so I just had to scratch it.  The result?  Chocolate Chip Scones.  These aren't true scones in the sense that they're round.  The dough for this is shaped into a round and then cut into wedges before going in the oven.  These are yummy, light and fluffy,they rose very well, and they have chocolate in them ... and what isn't good with chocolate in it??  Anyway, the recipe ....

Ingredients.

  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces.
  • 1/2 cup milk or semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries (Optional)
  • 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract.
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk*
Method.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F/200 degrees C.

In a large bowl, whisk together the Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Salt.  Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture using fingers, a pastry cutter or two knives till the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in the chocolate chips/chunks, and the dried cherries.

In a small measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk and vanilla extract, then add to the flour mixture.  Stir just until the dough comes together.  Add more flour or buttermilk if needed.  Do NOT over mix the dough!

Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead dough gently four or five times.  Pat the dough into a circle that is about seven inches round, and 1 1/2 inches thick.  Cut this circle in half, and then cut each half into four pie shaped wedges (triangles.)  Place the scones on a baking sheet and brush the tops gently with a little milk.

Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.

***A note about Buttermilk.  If you don't have any, you can make your own.  Just add a tablespoon of white distilled Vinegar, Cider Vinegar, or lemon juice to a cup of milk.  Let it stand for 5-10 minutes before using.***

No comments:

Post a Comment