Welcome to my Cooking Blog

Join me as I traverse my way through recipes for meals and desserts, and a whole host of other things in the world of cuisine.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Butterscotch Pudding.

Every now and again, I get a hankering for something sweet and luscious for dessert.  We're not usually dessert eaters in this house, but when I get a hankering for something dessert-like, the results can be somewhat sporadic.  It might end up being something like cookies.  Or a custard.  Or cream teas.  Or it might be a butterscotch Pudding.

I haven't had butterscotch pudding since I was a little girl, but I always remembered the taste of it.  Oddly enough, we only ever seemed to have it for Dessert in Primary School.  My mom certainly never made it!  So when I came across a recipe for it, I knew I had to try it.

My hubby wasn't looking forward to this.  He knew I had my eye on something when I asked him for $30.  (I needed Ramekins)  However, he gave in gracefully, and I happily went and shopped for what I needed.  The actual making of the butterscotch pudding is easy.  The hard part is waiting for it to chill.  I ended up chilling mine for 24 hours, and every time I opened the fridge door, it sat there poking it's tongue out at me as if to say 'You know you want me - but you can't have me!'  Torture I tell ya!!

I have to say, the wait is worth it!  This was a luscious smooth dessert, with a sweet but not overpowering taste.  The first mouthful actually made me moan out loud.  Yes, it is THAT good!  And it's so simple to make!

Ingredients.

  • 4 tablespoons butter, salted or unsalted
  • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2½ cups whole milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons whiskey (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method.

Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the dark brown sugar and salt, then stir until the sugar is well-moistened. Remove from heat.

In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch with about 1/4 cup of the milk until smooth (there should be no visible bits of cornstarch), then whisk in the eggs.

Gradually pour the remaining milk into the melted brown sugar, whisking constantly, then whisk in the cornstarch mixture as well.

Return the pan to the heat and bring the mixture to a boil, whisking frequently. Once it begins to bubble, reduce the heat to a low simmer and continue to cook for one minute, whisking non-stop, until the pudding thickens to the consistency of hot fudge sauce.

Remove from heat and stir in the whiskey and vanilla. If slightly-curdled looking, blend in a blender or food processor till smooth.  Take care though, hot liquids splash easily!

Pour into 4-6 serving glasses or custard cups and chill thoroughly, at least four hours, before serving.

Notes:   If you don't like a skin on your puddings, place a piece of Cling Wrap on the surface of your pudding before chilling them.  That will prevent a skin from forming.  This pudding is a new favourite of mine.  Simple, but delicious!  Go try it people!

Till next time, keep on cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment