Welcome to my Cooking Blog

Join me as I traverse my way through recipes for meals and desserts, and a whole host of other things in the world of cuisine.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Cream Teas

This evening, we had Cream Teas for Dessert.  I've been drooling since I first started thinking about them when a friend mentioned clotted cream a week or so ago.

For those who don't know, a Cream Tea is basically warm scones, with Jam, usually Strawberry or Raspberry, but your own personal preferences will dictate that, and clotted cream, served with a cup of your favourite tea.  Many people serve Earl Grey Tea with Cream Teas, but my own personal preference is a good old cup of PG Tips.

If you've read my previous posts, you'll know that I made my own Strawberry Jam yesterday, and although it was a roaring success all by itself, it really made the cream teas something else!  The soft bites of fruit and smooth Jelly mingled delightfully with the thick clotted cream, and the soft crunch of the scones, filling the mouth with an explosion of exciting flavours and pleasing textures.  The scones were made this afternoon for freshness, and the recipe for those can be found right here.

Do be warned people, these cream teas are deliciously unhealthy, but so so good.  It's a good job they're filling too, because they're also VERY moreish!

So, here we go.

Ingredients

  • Scones
  • Jam (Any flavour you like)
  • Clotted Cream (Also known as Devonshire Cream)

Method

Split open a scone (warm or cold, it's your choice)

Using a spoon or knife, spread a generous dollop of your favourite jam onto both halves of the scone.

Top the jam with a dollop of clotted cream.

Take a bite, close your eyes and await the chorus of Angelic voices raised in exultant song.

You don't need a lot of cream, it's very thick, like butter, and very rich.  I sat across the table from Andy tonight, and watched his face as he took a bite.  He almost went cross-eyed as the flavours hit his tastebuds.  It was a pleasure to watch!

Till next time, keep on cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment