Welcome to my Cooking Blog

Join me as I traverse my way through recipes for meals and desserts, and a whole host of other things in the world of cuisine.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Cream Scones.

As a Brit living in Canada, I sometimes find it a little hard to get hold of things that I enjoy easily. And at others, I just enjoy making it myself. Scones were always a part of my youth. I remember my mom making them. As a child, I would stand and watch, fascinated as she measured out the ingredients using a tablespoon (never a scale!) and mixed them all together. With the little bits of leftover dough, myself and my younger sister would sit at the table and play for hours, making little animal shapes and whatever took our fancy.


This cream scone recipe is a classic one, and was incredibly easy to make!

Ingredients.

  • 2 cups all purpose flour.
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup unsalted butter, chilled
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
Egg Wash

  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon water.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Lightly grease a cookie sheet; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

With a pastry blender or knife, cut chilled butter into small 1/2-inch size cubes and stir into flour mixture.

In a small bowl, stir together the cream, egg, and vanilla extract.

Pour cream mixture into flour mixture and stir to combine.

Stir in raisins if desired.

Lightly flour works surface and hands. Pat dough to a 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter or glass cut out rounds and place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Gather scraps and repeat until dough is used.

In a small bowl, stir egg and 1 teaspoon of water together.

Lightly brush top of scones with egg wash mixture.

Bake 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 1 minute then transfer scones to cooling surface.

Split open a scone or two, spread with your favorite filling, and enjoy!

These scones baked up beautifully and were soft and fluffy inside. The recipe states that it makes 14 scones, but I found that I only got 9. So I doubled up the recipe and made another batch. The husband started eating them for Breakfast before he went to work in the morning and by all accounts loved them, which pleasantly surprised me but pleased me too. I may open his mind to new possibilities yet!

Till next time, keep cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment