Welcome to my Cooking Blog

Join me as I traverse my way through recipes for meals and desserts, and a whole host of other things in the world of cuisine.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Apple crumble with Cinnamon.

Last night for Dessert I made an Apple Crumble with Cinnamon. This truly is a dessert from my childhood, during those dark wet winter nights. There was something very comforting about sticking a spoon into a bowl of hot Apple Crumble, with a generous dollop of Vanilla Ice cream slowly melting to one side. My mom never used Cinnamon though, because my Dad wasn't a fan of it, which is why I was a tad apprehensive about using it in mine. However, I needn't have worried. It. Was. Fabulous! The cinnamon really added something to the flavor of the Apples, bringing out their tartness, while there was just a hint of lemon flavor, from the juice I used to keep the apples from turning brown. I served this with a dollop of frozen Yogurt, but again, your personal preferences decide what to serve it with.

Ingredients.

  • 6 apples (I used Granny Smiths. They hold their shape well)
  • 6 tablespoons sugar (I used 4 tablespoons of white, and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons butter
For the Crumble Topping.

  • 4 teaspoons butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
I also added a teaspoon of Cinnamon to the crumble.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Peel and slice apples into greased baking dish.

Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over apples. Dot with two teaspoons of the butter.

Blend the remaining four teaspoons of butter into brown sugar.

Mix and add flour and rolled oats.

Spoon mixture over apples.

Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 15mins.

Uncover and bake until crust is golden and apples are tender (around 35 minutes.)

This can be served right out of the oven, or you can allow it to cool a little bit before serving. I served it right away with frozen yogurt and was glad I did. The crust was crunchy on top and a little gooey underneath, while the apples held their shape well and tasted divine! This one is a definite keeper!

Till next time, keep cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment