Welcome to my Cooking Blog

Join me as I traverse my way through recipes for meals and desserts, and a whole host of other things in the world of cuisine.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Creamy Baked Fish

I wasn't going to post this till later today, but figured I should do it now since I seem to be getting some more interest in this blog.  I went hunting for something a little bit different for dinner last night.  I was tired of doing the same old kind of meal, and wanted something a bit different, then I remembered a pie that my Dad used to make, called Fisherman's Pie and it hit me!  Salmon!

Out here on the West Coast of Canada, we get some gorgeous Salmon, and with the abundance of it, the prices are SO reasonable too!  So, now I'd figured out WHAT I wanted to use, it was time to figure out HOW to use it.  Then I ran across a recipe called Creamy Baked Fish.  The recipe calls for Cod, but in my opinion, any fish at all would work well.  I was a little bit worried about the cream content of this recipe, I thought it would be heavy, but in actual fact, though it was rich, it didn't feel too heavy at all.

Ingredients.

  • 6 Cod Fillets (Or any fillets of your choice)
  • 1 Lemon
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 cup emmental cheese
  • 1 cup cream
  • 1tbsp Dijon Mustard
  • 1/2 cup soft fresh breadcrumbs
  • 1 tbsp butter melted
Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4

Butter a baking dish large enough to hold all of the fish fillets in one layer.

Place the fish into the baking dish, presentation side up. Season well with salt and pepper. Squeeze the juice of the lemon over top.

Sprinkle the grated cheese over all. Whisk the cream and mustard together, pour evenly over top of the fish.

Toss the bread crumbs with the melted butter.

Sprinkle evenly over the fish. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned on top and the fish flakes easily with the tines of a fork. 

Serve hot. This goes very well with mashed potatoes or rice.

I served this with roasted potatoes.  I figured they'd do to mop up any remaining sauce and I was right.  The cream and cheese mingled very well, and there was a lovely lemon flavor to the fish that wasn't overpowering at all.  It was an easy meal to prepare, make and eat.  A definite keeper!

Till next time, keep cookin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment